When it comes to changing or creating a password it can be difficult. Below are some helpful tips on how to pick and choose a good password along with a few examples. The initial password example below starts as “acctech” and after following the recommendations for a good password it becomes “20Acc*T3ch03″ to provide a 12 character password utilizing all of the recommendations below. Please note this is an example only and we do not recommend using this as your actual password.
- Combine a mix of Upper and Lower case letters (Ex. AccTech)
- Include some sort of symbol into your password. (Ex. Acc*Tech)
- Include a number into the password and try to avoid just using a 1 at the end. (Ex. Acc*T3ch)
- Try to think of a password that you do not use for another account already.
- Keep a minimum of 8 characters, preferably 12 or more characters. (Ex. 20Acc*T3ch03)
- Think of something like an uncommon phrase or random words (Ex. Josh_Candles_16*)
- Think of something easy to remember, yet hard for someone else to learn by watching you type it.
- Ensure you change your password at least every 6 months if not sooner.
- If your computer ever becomes infected with a virus, change all passwords for online accounts such as Social Media sites, Online Banking, and any other sites you log into.
Things to avoid:
- Avoid using any repeating numbers in the password (Ex. AccTech44444)
- Avoid using any incremental numbers (ex. AccTech12345)
- Avoid using a set of keys directly next to each other on the keyboard (Ex. qwerty or asdfg)
Remembering all of these passwords can be difficult. We all know how hard it can be if you forget a password and have to try and recover it. We recommend looking at some secure password management applications that will keep all of your passwords in an encrypted program that you can easily access and retrieve your password. Some of these may include KeyPass, LastPass, and many others.
Some of the most common passwords over the years are listed below.
Microsoft announced last year that the support for Windows XP and Office 2003 will be expiring in April of 2014. If you are still using a system that is running Microsoft Windows XP you will want to upgrade prior to April 8th, 2014 when support will end. Here at ACC-Tech, we will still work on computers running this operating system and provide our same services. What matters to you is that Microsoft will not release security fixes for Windows XP after this date. If a new system bug is found that increases your chances for getting viruses, Microsoft will no longer fix these bugs. The same goes for Office 2003.
If you don’t know what operating system you are using, look at the image below. The image indicates of the Start button on your computer. If your start button matches the image below, you will want to contact us so we can go over your options for Upgrade or Replacement. If you replace the computer we can help move over your files, if you upgrade most of your files will remain in place.
Office 2003 support is also ending at the same time. This includes programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. This only applies to Version 2003 and not any of the newer versions such as Office 2007, Office 2010, and Office 2013. To determine if you have Office 2003, Open the Word program on your computer and compare it to the image below. If it matches, come talk to us about upgrading to the latest version of Office.
More Information from Microsoft on this can be found here.
Along with our Holiday Desktop Bundle we are offering a bundle with our laptops.
Buy any laptop and get a free Logitech wireless mouse!
We currently have 2 in stock to choose from.
For a limited time only we are offering a holiday bundle on our Basix desktop computer for just $699!
This offer includes our standard Basix system with a few upgrades!
- Intel i3 Processor
- Upgraded hard drive for more storage
- Upgraded memory for faster processing
- 20″ ViewSonic monitor
- Your choice of Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard OR Logitech Desktop Speakers*
- 1 – Year warranty provided by ACC Tech.
This is perfect to give as a gift as it comes with everything you need to have a full computer setup at an unbelievable price!
*Standard mouse and keyboard will come free when choosing Logitech Desktop Speakers instead of Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard.
We invite you to join us on Social Networking. Below are some links to some of the social networking sites we participate in and you can connect with us even more by liking or following us on social media!
By connecting with us through Social Media you can get computer tips and tricks, computer news, computer safety concerns, and other company information.
Google +: https://plus.google.com/+Acc-techNet
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/company/acc-tech
For Thanksgiving Holiday we will be observing different hours of operation. On Wednesday 11/27 we will be open from 9AM – 12PM. We will be closed on Thursday 11/28 and Friday 11/29. We will re-open on 12/02 at 9AM.
If you have Facebook, connect with us for news and information as well as the ability to communicate with our technical staff regarding any questions that you may have.
Welcome to our updated website! This is newly redesigned to make it easier for our customers to find the information they need faster.
What does managed IT services mean for you and your business?
Please continue reading to know more.